Have Diabetes? Get Tips for Safe Travel
With summer upon us, that means many of us may be traveling to take a vacation and get a much needed break. Even while you’re away from home, you can still manage your diabetes to ensure happy, healthy travel. Here are some quick tips for staying on track while you’re at your getaway destination:
- Don’t Forget Your Medication
- Pack twice the amount of supplies you may need, just in case!
- Carry a copy of your prescriptions with you, in case of emergencies.
- Locate places nearby to get medical care, to prepare for any emergencies.
- On the Go
- If you’re driving a far distance, try to get up and get moving every one or two hours, to prevent blood clots.
- Pack healthy snacks to be prepared for when hunger strikes!
- If you’re flying, bring all diabetes supplies with you in a carry-on bag.
- Staying Healthy
- Protect your feet! Make sure to wear supportive shoes and not walk barefoot, to prevent any possible injuries.
- Be sure to wash your hands often with soap and water.
- Check your blood glucose levels often, as changes in schedules may cause fluctuations. Be aware and prepared!
To learn more tips for managing your diabetes for safe travels, click here.