Functional Foods Give a Boost to Your Wellness
Eating healthy is an important part of living a healthy lifestyle. Besides eating healthy to maintain a healthy weight, there are certain foods you can eat to help protect against diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Functional foods have been identified by researchers to have a positive effect on health and prevent disease. Functional foods include fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, nuts, and fish. Specifically, cauliflower, broccoli, kale and other vegetables in the cabbage family are important to fighting cancer.
Follow these easy tips to ensure you eat functional foods every day!
- Include more fresh or frozen vegetables in your meals by adding them to dishes such as casseroles, soups, and salads.
- Eat fresh fruit with every meal by adding it to cereal and salads.
- Use whole grain breads and pastas that have at least 3 grams of fiber per serving.
- Go meatless once a week by adding legumes such as black beans, lentils, and kidney beans to your meal.
- Switch to a healthier snack such as whole wheat crackers, raw vegetables, or low-fat popcorn.
- Eat fish such as salmon and tuna twice a week.