Make It a Habit to Get Adequate Sleep
As we all know, sleep is important to everyday life. However, many people do not realize that it affects our overall health. We are at greater risk for chronic diseases if we do not get enough sleep. It is reported that a shocking 35% of adults said they do not get the recommended 7 to 8 hours of rest. Are you getting enough sleep? Try these tips:
- Be consistent – Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Keep your room dark and quiet – Turn off all electronics and close the curtains to ensure sleep is not disrupted.
- Be physically active – A regular exercise routine can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
- Enjoy the early morning sunlight –Enjoy the sun early in the day and avoid bright lights before bed.
- Drinking habits – Caffeine and alcohol can disrupt your sleep, so be sure not to drink them before bedtime.
- Shut off your mind – If you cannot sleep because of thoughts from the day or stress in your life, try writing down ideas, reading, or performing another quiet activity to clear your mind.